As we find ourselves entering into Week 4 of social distancing, we also find ourselves running out of shows to watch. In this week’s “Chronicles From Home,” we asked our team to share three shows or movies they’ve been enjoying during their downtime.
- The Good Place – A few years ago, a friend suggested that I watch The Good Place, starring a favorite of mine, Kristen Bell, and I kept her recommendation in the back of my mind. The Good Place is a comedy about a woman, Eleanor Shellstrop who upon death, is ‘accidentally’ sent to the Good Place, despite a not so great life on Earth. It follows her journey to become a better and more ethical person and is filled with a great cast and witty humor. It is a feel-good show that helps me to unwind at the end of these long stressful days.
- Tiger King– If you haven’t heard of Tiger King, I am not sure what you have been doing these past few weeks. If you are like my husband and me, then you binge-watched this hard to believe documentary featuring Joe Exotic and the wild world of big cat breeding. The 7-episode series is available on Netflix and is a must-watch. Not only will you be intrigued by the eclectic array of characters in this docu-series, but you may also learn a thing or two. For example, episode 4’s plot mainly revolves around none other than SEO and Joe Exotic attempts to explain which marketing tactics he is going to use to outrank his arch-nemesis, Carol Baskin. Our co-worker over at SEOM Interactive decided to dive into the SEO lessons taught by Joe Exotic and share why he thought they may work, but what we (actual search professionals) would recommend instead. You can check out her thoughts here!
- Disney+ – I know we said we would share a show or movie, not a whole network, but as the mom of the group, I have to give a huge shoutout to Disney+. If you have not yet had a chance to check out this streaming service, it is worth every penny. My girls and I have loved watching all of the classics like The Little Mermaid and The Lion King but more than likely, you can find us watching the Frozen Series or Moana on repeat. There is something for everyone on Disney Plus and I would be lying to you if I didn’t say I enjoy turning a DCOM on for a Friday night watch party, just like the old days!
- Ozark – Yes, I know the third season was recently released, but I was late to the game. Netflix’s American crime drama follows Jason Bateman and Laura Linney as they relocate their family to Missouri’s Ozarks in order to launder money for a Mexican cartel. My family and I binge-watched season 1 this past weekend, and we’ve already started season 2. It’s not easy to find a show that everyone in my family actually enjoys—that’s how you know it’s worth watching.
- The Masked Singer – On the complete opposite end of the Ozark entertainment spectrum, you may find The Masked Singer. Though this show is generally a hot mess, I am someone who loves a good mystery and piecing together clues to figure out who each contestant is. I like to watch this one on DVR so I can fast forward through most of the nonsense, but the judge’s ridiculous guesses are something I can’t skip. If the astronaut isn’t Hunter Hayes (based on voice alone), you’ll be able to find me shocked in my living room for the rest of time.
- Family Karma – Bravo is the gift that keeps on giving. I could write an entire blog strictly about which Bravo shows are getting me through this pandemic, i.e., Vanderpump Rules, Summer House, and more recently, the much-needed return of my favorite housewives in New York City. Here is Family Karma as described by Bravo:
“Growing up in traditional, multigenerational households, this group is bonded by their strong cultural ties and vibrant Miami social lives. With parents and grandparents instilling their cherished customs, and adult children who are drifting more towards the “American Way,” the two worlds collide in the most unexpected ways.”
If you are a Bravoholic like me, you don’t want to miss out on Family Karma.
- Total Bellas– Due to quarantine, one of my favorite Reality TV shows had its premiere a week early! Reality TV is my guilty pleasure, and this show does not disappoint. It’s all about two twin sisters, Brie & Nicole, who were WWE superstars and are now successful entrepreneurs. It’s one of my favorite shows to have on in the background as I work—I rewatch all the time on Hulu! This season will be particularly juicy because the twins are pregnant at the same time, and there will also be a proposal! Not only did Total Bellas begin airing on E! but so did Keeping Up With The Kardashian’s. Binge these on Hulu like me or watch live!
- How To Get Away With Murder– I am crime show obsessed, so How To Get Away With Murder coming back to air has been very exciting! But it’s the last leg of its final season. This show is all about a group of law students and their criminal defense professor. Throughout the series, the law students become entangled in a murder (or two…) that changes their lives. If you have not checked it out, do so now! Seasons 1-5 are available to binge on Netflix with the final series airing Thursday nights on ABC.
- Money Heist– Another crime-related guilty pleasure of mine! This show is a MUST watch. It’s all about a bank robbery planned by the mastermind, otherwise known as ‘the Professor.’ The show focuses on the robbers as they battle against the police and their hostages. I binge watch each season as they air on Netlflix, so season four’s release has been an exciting part of my week!
Do you have any TV show suggestions for us? Let us know!